« Home | I'm a big girl in a big world! =) » | Hello! » | Who I am »

Geossara Costa interviewed by André Pereira and André Carvalho

1.Why did you choose this course?
Geossara Costa: It was very difficult to choose a course because I like almost everything, but my love for learning and understanding other languages was bigger.

2.How many languages do you speak? Where did you learn them?
GC: My mother language is Creole, a dialect from Cape Vert, so including it I speak four languages, with Portuguese, English and French. The three last languages I’ve learned in school.

3.After completing this course, what do you want to do?
GC: In this moment I’m thinking about doing a master degree in translation and if possible travelling for a while so I can meet Japan and England.

4.Do you intend to leave the country to get a job? Or do you think you'll get lucky and get one here?
GC: I’d like to leave Portugal. It would be like a dream coming true if I could work as a translator in another country.

5.Being in translation, do you think of opening a new translating company or join an already existing one?
GC: I think that it’s too soon to talk about it. But I would work in an existing company first, so that I could learn how it works and how to maintain it and be successful.

6.What do you think of the national aspect of translation?
GC: The truth is that I’m not very aware of what’s the national aspect of translation. I only know what I’m told, and it’s not pretty…

7.What do you think of this course and the people in it?
GC: Great and great.

8.Which translation area attracts you the most?
GC: I love subtitling. I hope I’m able to do it in the future, but I love translation in the general, so I’ll be happy with anything.

9.Do you intend to do a part-time job during holidays so you can practice translation?
GC: That would be great. I think it’s lacking in Portugal the opportunities for us to know better our future jobs, that’s why there aren’t many good professionals.

10.Is this course what you expected it to be?
GC: Yes it is. I’m not disappointed at all with my choice. While I was in high school, I was constantly thinking about what I should do, what course to choose, so I’ve chosen the one I thought that was the better… so for a while I was scared, thinking that maybe I had chosen the wrong one. I glad that for now the doubts are gone.

11.Many people are talking about doing a master degree in translation. Do feel like doing it as well?
GC: Yes. Like I said before, I would love to do it. But that’s something to do while working, so we can improve our skills.

12.What would you consider to be the class which is more connected to you and your future translation area?
GC: Probably Computing applied to Translation, because like I said before I wish to do subtitling in a not very distant future.

13.If you would like to study abroad, which country would you choose and why?
GC: Well, right now there are two countries I’m looking forward to meet, and they are England and Japan, and that’s because those are the countries that most attract me, not only for their landscaping but also because of the development and languages.

14.What do you consider to be the main characteristic of a translator and why?
GC: That’s something I fell I can’t answer yet, once I’m still learning.

15.What is that one thing you treasure the most above all that is material and substantial?
GC: Hmm… I’m not sure if I understood the question, but for me honesty is the main quality that someone must have. We must be honest to ourselves and to others so we can be like we really are.

16.Do you consider yourself special in any aspect or area? What turns you different from another? Explain.
GC: I don’t consider myself special or different, only someone who knows can say that.

17.If you would pick an animal that is your very personality in any way, which would it be and why?
GC: There’s only an animal that I love above all others and consider to be “my other half” (no, it’s not the man… just kidding. :p) and it’s the Orca. Orcas are amazing animals, and unfortunately misunderstood, like sometimes I think I am. But there is a bigger explanation for this, but it’s to long for me to give it now, I would have to put it in another topic.

18.Forgetting for a while your professional goals, which are your personal ones?
GC: Well, for now I don’t think of getting married, what I intend to do is to get a house of my own, when I finish the course, and to be financially self-governed.

19.Sometimes being a college/university student requires a lot of sacrifices. Is there any sacrifice you needed to do in order to fulfil your dream?
GC: Not me, but my mom. She is the one working really hard so that I can fulfil my dream, that’s why I have to be successful, for me and for her!

Labels:

I know some interesting things about male orcas, if you want to know :P lol

Post a Comment