« Home | André Pereira interviewed by André Carvalho and Ge... » | Joana Carlos interviewed by Sara Eichman » | A Simple Man and a Simple Life » | Geossara Costa interviewed by André Pereira and An... » | I'm a big girl in a big world! =) » | Hello! » | Who I am »

André Carvalho interviewed by Geossara Costa and André Pereira

Questions/Answers

1) Why did you choose this course?
André Carvalho: I have chosen this course because I’m very fond of English and I always wanted to study it more effectively. Besides, translation was one of my goals last year, and I’m very happy that I got accepted in this course.

2) How many languages do you speak? Where did you learn them?
A.C.: I currently speak English, French, and Portuguese of course. I learned English and French at school and/or watching movies, etc…

3) After completing this course, what do you want to do?
A.C.: I would like to either start enrolling for my first real job, connected with translation or travel to Great Britain, mainly England and spend a year there, either studying or working… but who knows?

4) Do you intend to leave the country to get a job? Or do you have hope to get one here?
A.C.: I don’t intend to leave the country to get a job, but I wouldn’t mind it. Working/studying abroad sometimes help quite a lot in building your experience in working with foreign languages.

5) Being in translation, do you think of opening a new translating company or join an already existing one?
A.C.: Well, when it comes to translating companies, I intend to join an existing one or work abroad. When I feel that I’m confident or fully experienced to be responsible for my own translating company, I will definitely try to own one.

6) What do you think of the national aspect of translation?
A.C.: The national aspect of translation has been increasing a little in the past few years. Finally translation courses are gaining more interest than in the past. It’s fairly reasonable simply because there are various areas in which it can be used, and there are more to come (politics, technology, software, medicine…). Yes, indeed, translation is shining more than ever these days, at least in my viewing.

7) What do you think of this course and the people in it?
A.C.: In my point of view, this course is great, and the people here are all different from each other, but that’s what makes them very nice to work with. I feel as if I belong here and others feel the same.

8) Which translation area attracts you the most?
A.C.: I’m still a bit undecided about what areas affect me more. Maybe software, marketing and some recent ones, simply because there is a lot of media and job opportunities about them presently. But like I said, I’m still a little undecided…

9) Do you intend to do a part-time job during holidays so you can practice translation?
A.C.: I wouldn’t mind doing a translating job during the holidays. Like I said before, I’m still a little “fresh” in the translation business and I intend to use all that I learned here in the professional areas.

10) Is this course what you expected it to be?
A.C.: This course is better than I expected to be at first. The teachers explain the theory well, I have a nice working environment and the people there are very social. Yes, it’s a good course all round in my viewing.

11) Many people are talking about doing a master degree in translation. Do feel like doing it as well?
A.C.: If I feel confident at the end of this course, maybe I plan to enroll in that adventure. Like I said, I like what I do; translation is a nice course, and if I get the hang of it, maybe I will study it more professionally, who knows?

12) What do you consider to be the class which is more connected with you and your future translation area?
A.C.: At first, I thought it was well, English (duh…), but with the increasing and high variety of translation course classes and choices I’ll pick Technical and Cientific Terms, since any translator or individual should learn something about almost any aspect of culture.

13) If you would like to study abroad, which country would you pick and why?
A.C.:
I would pick the United Kingdom, simply because I wouldn’t mind practicing the native tongue there. One thing is speaking with a Portuguese who speaks well English. Another is speaking with an Englishman with the English accent.

14) What do you consider to be the main characteristic of a translator and why?
A.C.:
It’s hard to pick one only characteristic for a translator, since he needs a lot of them to get the engine starting. I’ll pick some of them, creativity, clarity, high perception, a rich vocabulary… all these and lots more eventually make translating companies to beg for you…! (Joking)

15) What is that one thing you treasure the most above all that is material and substantial?
A.C.:
I don’t think there is anything that important to me, since I’m not very materialistic. But maybe third parties might assume I like something that strongly, I don’t know… and I don’t care...

16) Do you consider yourself special in any aspect or area? What makes you different from another person? Explain.
A.C.:
I don’t consider myself special… and everyone’s different from each other, making the world a happier or sadder place to live… that’s all I can say…

17) If you would pick an animal that is your very personality in any way, who which would it be and why?
A.C.:
Let’s see… I would pick the bear. This mild creature enjoys sleeping through winter, and I indeed enjoy sleeping, lol… He’s neutral, calm, but often charges when he’s angry, again, like me. I dunno if bears have feeling or not, but as far as I know, though I seem to be that irrelevant and “far-away” sometimes, truth is, I’m closer than you think. Anyways, that’s about it and I don’t enjoy talking about myself, since I usually am more concerned about third parties than a “runt” like me…

18) Putting aside your professional goals, which are your personal ones?
A.C.:
My personal goals… to get married, but goodness, not anytime sooner…! To love and be loved… To bring fear and be feared… to laugh and not to be laughed at… and to drink till I do a belly flop… “Life’s a game, but there’s only one try, enjoy it”.

19) Sometimes being a college/university student requires a lot of sacrifices. Is there any sacrifice you needed to do in order to fulfill your dream?
A.C.:
If there was a sacrifice, I would do it… I am looking forward to a high ranked professional translator job, and for that I sadly need to get my study on… ouch…

Thanks for having the patience to read this, I know I hadn’t ^^

Labels:

a bear... lazy!!!

Post a Comment